Wednesday, December 30, 2009

My Favorite Films of 2009

Here they are, my favorite films of 2009.

1. District 9
2. Inglorious Bastards
3. Avatar
4. Synecdoche, New York
5. Das Weisse Band
6. Coraline
7. The Hurt Locker
8. Star Trek
9. Panique Au Village
10. Watchmen


Where is Let The Right One In, you wonder? Well, that one I put in last year’s top 10. This year, it finally did get a theatrical release in the Netherlands though, becoming 2009’s nr 1 best film according to the Dutch film critics. I do not necessarily disagree with that, although District 9 and Inglorious Bastards form a pretty tough competition for the number one spot.

Avatar might not be the most solid film story-wise, as a technical achievement it is a marvel to behold. Can’t wait to see it again on IMAX next week. I also liked to include Coraline and Paniqua Au Village, the first a subtle masterpiece of the stop motion animation craft, the second also stop motion animated but low-budget and completely batshit insane.

And Watchmen, oh Watchmen. I still haven’t found the time to watch my ‘Ultimate Cut’ blu-ray yet, and I’m not entirely convinced if it will improve the original cut (or director’s cut for that matter) but I’m including the film in my top 10 for the maker’s courage (both aesthetically and financially) to adapt the graphic novel in such a literal way. Squid or no squid.

Runners-Up (alphabetical order):

2012, Anvil! The Story of Anvil, Los Bastardos, Chocolate, The Clone Returns Home, Il Divo, Doubt, Drag me to Hell, Encounters at the End of the World, A Film With Me In It, Gomorra, The Hangover, I Love You, Man, In The Loop, Kan Door Huid Heen, Martyrs, Moon, Public Enemies, Revolutionary Road, , Up, The Wrestler.

Films I regret I haven’t seen (yet):

Antichrist, Bronson, Capitalism: A Love Story, The Chaser, Che 1&2, Frozen River, De Helaasheid der Dingen, Not Quite Hollywood.

FYI: these are all films released in the Netherlands in 2008, spiced up with some films which should have been...
Next up, my top 50 of the 2000s!

No comments: