Thursday, December 18, 2008

Confronting the time drain

A whopping 2200 hours. That’s how much time I’ve played World of Warcraft since early 2005. That was the reality I was confronted with when I added up all the play time on my characters before I uninstalled the game from my system. Just think about how many films I could have seen in that time, or how many books I could have read. Or, for that matter, how many other games I could have been playing!

So, was it worth it?

Well, it actually was my job to spend all this time in WoW, so it’s not like I had a choice. Right? Yes and no. Engaging in a game like World of Warcraft for research (or whatever ‘serious’ reason) still cannot hide the fact that not all activities in there work. Not by a long shot. They are play, pure and simple. Then again, you don’t ‘get’ WoW by reading or talking about it. You have to play it. You have to live it. You have to ‘go native’ on its ass.

And that I did. For 2200 hours.

So far, no regrets. WoW remains one of the most impressive, engaging and interesting experiences I’ve ever been part of. Thank God for that. Or was it Thrall?

No comments: